Artistic Director 2020-2021 Search
The Magpie Consort, a small, well-established mixed-voice ensemble based in Columbus, Ohio, is actively seeking qualified candidates for the position of Artistic Director. The focus of Magpie Consort is Early Music, World Music, and the performance of lesser known works in those genres.
The ideal candidate will have interest in developing a vocal ensemble for the performance of early music and world music, including recruiting singers, and the use of selective auditions to develop a unified sound in the ensemble appropriate to the performance of early music. Expertise in the areas of early and world music sufficient to drive innovative programming in those genres is required. A degree in Choral Conducting or equivalent proficiency is preferred.
The Artistic Director reports to the Magpie Consort Board of Directors. The contract is renewable annually. Salary for the 2020-2021 season will be $3000, negotiable.
- Provides overall artistic leadership and direction at regular rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and performances.
- Recruits and auditions singers.
- Chooses repertoire and plans programs (two programs per season: one in December and one in May).
- Selects and hires of soloists and instrumentalists as needed for programming, subject to budgetary limits.
- Attends Board of Directors and general business meetings as necessary.
Candidates should submit a letter of application along with a résumé and two letters of reference. Applications may be submitted beginning February 1, 2020.
Applications may be electronically submitted. Materials must be received by The Magpie Consort, Artistic Director Search Committee, electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional information, please email email@example.com.